Originally, the idea was this. Two sisters spending one year creating art, or at least creating, every day using only supplies that they already have, get for free, find, or receive...looking to rediscover the artistic selves they've lost somewhere along the way in all the clutter of life... But it didn't fit into life, and so now who knows what you might find?!!















Thursday, July 28, 2011

the end...

So last night, I came home from a family portrait session in Wellfleet, (great family, beautiful spot btw) and was so exhausted I could barely move. I sat and thought about this project, about getting up and making something, about the reasons I was doing it, and made a decision to stop. For a bunch of reasons. It was more fun when Marla was doing it for sure!, I should really be cleaning my house everyday, exercising more, marketing my business everyday, doing my books everyday, updating my studio everyday, creating photography samples everyday, doing my studio blog everyday, insert any of a number of other things here, but what I'm finding is that I'm creating just for the sake of creating something. Most days I cram in a project which I can't do the way I want, or rush it just to get it done, or whatever. This adds more junk to an already bursting at the seams house, and isn't helping either my creativity or my inspiration. Almost 5 months later and my art room is even messier than when I started I think! I need to create for the pure joy of it, without the pressure of trying to meet the deadline. I think if I were a working artist (which technically I am, but in a totally different way) and spent my days creating anyway it would be different. I create everyday. Family portraits, senior portraits, marketing pieces, even art on a regular basis, etc., so for at least now, that's where I'll put my energies. Honestly, where they should be at this point anyway! I'll still be creating all of my kooky things on the side, I think some little part of me thought I could just create the kooky and get rid of the portraits. But I've learned through this little exercise that is definitely not in the cards, my kooky is just a release for me. (& much if it is better seen just by me too!!) So now it's time to figure out what it is I want to do with myself. A much better use of my time! It will definitely include handcolouring some more of my stone photos, I have one hanging in the studio, and it brings me such joy every time I walk by it. That's what art is about for me.

oh... know any good crafts from the 70's? I might have a little time on my hands?

Speaking of the 70's, Ray will be happy that I'm finally going to get back to the project I promised him, braiding little rugs for the stairs!

I may still share a project or two, I've enjoyed this blog, so maybe we'll just give it a different by line and continue it differently. Marla's coming to visit next week, last time she was here the craziness started, maybe this time we can find a new path for this little adventure we've had!

2 comments:

  1. My friend Chris bet me 50c that I won't be able to finish my stair treads before the end of the spring... the race is on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, my sewing machine died. Had to cough up the 50c. But I'm 3 into it, spring has sprung but maybe by next spring!!

    ReplyDelete