Originally, the idea was this. Two sisters spending one year creating art, or at least creating, every day using only supplies that they already have, get for free, find, or receive...looking to rediscover the artistic selves they've lost somewhere along the way in all the clutter of life... But it didn't fit into life, and so now who knows what you might find?!!















Sunday, May 8, 2011

everything that I know...I know because I love.


I had been working on this card but couldn't finish it, that is until I watched the movie The Last Station, a film about Leo Tolstoy and his wife, and their tumultuous marriage.  The film opens with this quote, and what a beautiful quote it is, from his rather huge book War and Peace.  So I made two cards today, one for missing yesterday and one for today.

John James Audubon was more of an artist of pure genius than a writer, but he did compile many books about birds and other wildlife.  It always amazes me when I see his paintings, just the technical detail, the sheer perfection of them.  There are tiny little pictures at the top of the card that I spent a long time cutting out - there's one of Audubon, sitting sternly holding a shotgun.  A shotgun!  The two don't match if you ask me; how can you be a preserver of life through paintings and a hunter of life at the same time?  PS: I cut the shotgun out of his picture, I prefer to keep this a no gun zone!


1 comment:

  1. I love the images on the Tolstoy card, both the wife and the young girl have these great expressions! What a beautiful quote. Lovely card.

    Audobon was indeed genius, a very befitting card... glad you nixed the gun! The flamingo is very grand, an excellent card!!!

    ReplyDelete