Originally, the idea was this. Two sisters spending one year creating art, or at least creating, every day using only supplies that they already have, get for free, find, or receive...looking to rediscover the artistic selves they've lost somewhere along the way in all the clutter of life... But it didn't fit into life, and so now who knows what you might find?!!















Thursday, May 26, 2011

trolling the Thames


This weekend I read an article about people who walk along the River Thames picking up ancient pottery shards, pieces of glass, bits of clay pipes and other oddities they might find.  A few years ago, I was walking along the river with my aunt, her grandsons, and my daughter.  I couldn't believe what I saw - a staircase leading down to the riverbed at low tide - what a gift!  So I ran down those steps as fast as I could, very much to my aunt's horror (the filthy river Thames, she calls it) and stuffed as much pottery, etc. as I could find in my pockets.  I was positively gleeful!  And the next time I was lucky enough to walk along the Thames, I found that spot again.  I ventured  down in the pouring rain (it was actually sleet!) and snow, and poked around with freezing hands until my husband gently pulled me away, essentially turning off the light for this moth, with the lure of a warm lunch at a nearby pub.  So, it was with with mixed feelings that I read that article - my little quiet treasure hunting spot blasted all over the NYT magazine for ever other treasure seeker to find!  Of course, it was never really mine to begin with...but I'm happy to be among the lucky ones to have a bit of treasure from the River Thames.

1 comment:

  1. Love this, and as you know am very jealous of your trolling! Of course we did get to find some cool pottery shards in a little river running through a village in the Cotswolds... rivers, shards, guess I might need to go back to England one day!

    ReplyDelete