Originally, the idea was this. Two sisters spending one year creating art, or at least creating, every day using only supplies that they already have, get for free, find, or receive...looking to rediscover the artistic selves they've lost somewhere along the way in all the clutter of life... But it didn't fit into life, and so now who knows what you might find?!!















Sunday, March 13, 2011

11, 12, 13 - New Hampshire Weekend...

I had a lovely weekend, enjoying the company of extremely good friends, laughing and enjoying each other, sending peace and love to a world that is in desperate need, eating & creating... One of the 6 other women I shared my weekend with is an art teacher, and she said she was bringing us an art project. Turns out she brought us two, and let me keep a bunch of supplies (what? you can't buy anything? how about you keep this paper, and these scraps, and....) - oh how I adore her! Oh how I adore all of those women! Hooray for friends with whom you can be your best self.

Day 11 - Mama Nut Cap was designed by Salley Mavor, this amazingly talented woman, who I admire and like, a lot. Her newest book, A Pocketful of Posies has won the 2010 ALA Notable Book & Horn Book Fanfare, and the 2011 Golden Kite Award. Not even sure she's still creating kits, but I've had this one forever, and this seemed a good time to create her... We're all very pleased to hear she'll be having a baby soon! (Mama Nut Cap that is, not Salley...)



Day 12 - My friend, Deb, the art teacher introduced everyone, but me, to Artist Trading Cards. She did, however, introduce me to acrylic medium transfer of magazine images... I am so addicted, you'll be seeing tons more of these I'm thinking!!! Gave one of my ATC's away, that's a lot of the point to swap them, I gave it to Deb as a huge thank you for giving us all the joy of creating together this weekend.



Day 13 - Deb also taught us a bunch of watercolour techniques, she's a great teacher! We had little teensy squares of watercolour paper we practiced different styles and ideas, like putting salt on wet paint, using sponges, and learning gradation of colour... We put those new techniques into two projects, birch trees in the snow and the beach, what fun we had... Each of our finished projects was so different, and yet we loved them all. Who knew I could create a watercolour painting I would like? Even my husband was a little impressed!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! It sounds like you have a wonderful weekend! I worked & had a stomach thing :( Isn't it amazaing what learning a technique can do? No one would ever know you haven't been painting landscapes for years! I remember when I was taught how to paint bamboo - I was so impressed with myself that everything was covered in bamboo stalks! Mama nut is darling - funny she doesn't look pregnant - those kits aren't available any more, too bad. Really want to learn more about acrylic transfer, too! Love the daisies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was delightful... hope you're better... hope we find time to play together soon... maybe on our seaglass expedition date...

    ReplyDelete