Originally, the idea was this. Two sisters spending one year creating art, or at least creating, every day using only supplies that they already have, get for free, find, or receive...looking to rediscover the artistic selves they've lost somewhere along the way in all the clutter of life... But it didn't fit into life, and so now who knows what you might find?!!















Thursday, March 31, 2011

No fear here.

My son Alex loves Ralph Steadman, the artist who created many cover illustrations for Hunter S. Thompson's books.  They compliment each other nicely; both are a little eccentric at best.  I tried to emulate Steadman's style on this card (was mostly successful with the color scheme - his artwork is incredibly detailed and original; I can see why Alex likes him so much.).  Hunter S. Thompson's writing is a little scary for me (take Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas...enough said) but he always had kind of an iconic look about him - big glasses, cigarette hanging, giant cars.  When he died, his friends shot his ashes up into space...

1 comment:

  1. I love Ralph Steadman, have never heard of him before now, but I go to his site, realize instantly I love him, oh he's English that'll explain it, crack up quite a few times in the short time I'm there, and can't wait to go back... (my fave line, my dad died underneath the painting of "the last supper", now we call it "the last cuppa"...) This is a great tribute to his work, nicely played sister...

    ReplyDelete