Originally, the idea was this. Two sisters spending one year creating art, or at least creating, every day using only supplies that they already have, get for free, find, or receive...looking to rediscover the artistic selves they've lost somewhere along the way in all the clutter of life... But it didn't fit into life, and so now who knows what you might find?!!















Thursday, March 31, 2011

#31 - Out like a snail...

So a couple of things, as it got closer to the end of the month I had to decide the whole lion/lamb thing... but of course, the weather is not cooperating with the old adage... and then... my friend recommended this book to me, which I've just finished, The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating by Elisabeth Tova Bailey which is all about this woman who is bedridden by illness who watches a wild snail for about a year... it was a lovely book, full of wonderful imagery, and interesting information about snails... It also had a few haiku about snails which I adored... so I've been kind of obsessed with making a snail. But of course, I couldn't felt one, because my sister made of all things, a snail... What came to mind was paper mache but I kept being concerned about the time, and needed a day or two prep...


So today... what am I going to do? I go into my art room, and there on my table from yesterday are bits of melted solder, and one is this perfect snail - well perfect if he only had another antennae - oh wait, there's a nice little bit I think will work perfectly... and oh, how perfect, March is not going out like a lamb at all, but a snail - taking it's own sweet time...

(if you're keeping track, the snail's shell is a part of a copy of a bromoil I created years ago of this great topiary garden at a gorgeous estate in England...)

1 comment:

  1. love the snail haiku - and what an imaginative use for an old scarp of solder! Very nice, sister.

    ReplyDelete