Originally, the idea was this. Two sisters spending one year creating art, or at least creating, every day using only supplies that they already have, get for free, find, or receive...looking to rediscover the artistic selves they've lost somewhere along the way in all the clutter of life... But it didn't fit into life, and so now who knows what you might find?!!















Thursday, March 3, 2011

dear Frida...

So my sister was a fan of Frida Kahlo long before many people (outside of Mexico) had heard of her, for Christmas a few years back I made her an altered art book, all about Frida. It was actually a Frida book, altered with you know, Frida. In the process of spending months creating this book, I became a fan as well. When I went to Mexico a couple of years back, I had to go visit Frida's Blue House. When I arrived there was a man painting the outside, obviously, blue. He was fixing areas here and there in the cement and was scraping off the old blue to paint the new blue. I couldn't believe my luck. So while his back was turned, I scooped up two big beautiful blue paint chips, one for Marla, and one for me, I could envision the art I was going to create with my piece. It was so going in the book (what's the book you ask? stay tuned you're sure to find out...) I was so excited. But when I arrived home, the two chips had disappeared. I kept searching for them, in fact every time I go to Marla's I check the match box I'd bought for her at Frida's, but there's just never any paint chips in it... and then I remember I've checked before... *deep sigh* So 'dear Frida' is asking really nicely for the paint chips back, think it'll work?

The Loteria cards are actually repro bingo cards I got from this store in California, aren't they great? I bought every size!!!! (Thankfully before I was put on this silly moratorium, that on day 3 already I'm not liking so well!) The milagro came from this Mexican store in San Antonio I bought in January, the sweet abuelo robbed me blind, but now I don't mind as much! I was searching for the perfect accent, and there it was (if I had any idea how to say voila in Spanish, I so would!) I also learned there's something very satisfying about painting something white a deep, rich blue. I get it Frida, now can I have them back? please?

1 comment:

  1. love this - I think the Spainsh newspaper background really adds to the art! I really enjoyed the story that went along with all the little bits that made up your collage...and that color, oh that color!

    ReplyDelete