Originally, the idea was this. Two sisters spending one year creating art, or at least creating, every day using only supplies that they already have, get for free, find, or receive...looking to rediscover the artistic selves they've lost somewhere along the way in all the clutter of life... But it didn't fit into life, and so now who knows what you might find?!!















Tuesday, March 22, 2011

#22 - for Japan

I love haiku. I think it is such an excellent art form. In fact, when Marla & I first talked about this project I said I'd create haiku for one of my days... and I will... but not today...


Years ago, my family went up to Maine on vacation, on our way home, we stopped to visit Lenny the chocolate moose, why? Well, you know, the world's largest chocolate moose, how could you not? So anyway, as we're going in, I spot this guy, he was so beautiful, and the light hit him perfectly, but then you've got this image of a caterpillar, what the heck can you do with that? Flash forward to 365 days of 'oh no, what am I going to make today?' and out comes the caterpillar. Today I decide I need to create something for all of the people in Japan who are in the midst of such tragedy to share a little love & compassion, and decide I need to find haiku about a caterpillar. So I pull out my one of my haiku books (I'm sorry, you don't have any? hmmm...) and there in the midst of spring into summer, I find that Buson has created my haiku for me (Japanese Haiku ©1965).

There are haiku in this book I can't wait to create for, but you're going to have to wait for turnip season is all I'm saying...

(The frame has already been altered once, my dear sister and I spent hours painting all of these cheap frames silver for my wedding day, this was table #9, hope they enjoyed themselves, know I did... )

2 comments:

  1. I had completely forgotten about all that prep work for your wedding! I think our fingers bled!
    Such a fitting tribute to the Japanese people. What a lot they have to bear right now. Now the haiku seems like it was written by a haiku-hipster (of course it was penned in the 60's...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure Buson was a haiku hipster per se, 1716 - 1783, perhaps not the hippest of eras... Maybe it was written in the '60's... the 1760's! :-) think he probably needed to learn to dance if he wanted to find love... maybe that's why he was writing poems about caterpillars, two left feet...

    ReplyDelete